This Day In History: 1957-03-25
The State Highway Department advertised for bids for the landscaping of Route 17 from the Ramapo River south to the Ramsey traffic circle. That section of the highway, at one time called “Butcher Boulevard” because of the numerous fatal accidents there, was being converted to a six-lane dual highway. All of the cross streets were being replaced by overpasses at Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo Avenue, Spring Street and Island Road-Central Avenue. The major portion of the work was to plant shrubbery such as cocksure Hawthorne Japanese rose and red dossier dogwood in the center strip to prevent glare from oncoming headlights and shade trees such as pin oaks, maples and Austrian pines at the interchanges. The slopes at the interchanges were to be planted with vines such as honeysuckle and bittersweet so as to prevent soil erosion and to but down on mowing and maintenance. In all the specifications called for 33 shade trees, 37 evergreens, 82 small flowering trees, 9,525 shrubs and 7,150 vines. Similar work was done on the road north from the Ramapo River Bridge to the Hillburn line the previous year.