This Day In History: 1942-03-10
Another Mahwah landmark was lost in a fire during the night. The old “Squire” Young House on Young’s Road burned to the ground in a blaze that might have been caused by faulty wiring. The house was occupied by Angelo Uberti. He had spent what was described as a “small fortune” in turning the old house into “one of the show places of the section”. Uberti said that he had been awakened shortly after midnight when his wife smelled smoke. He immediately called the Ramsey police and said that he thought there was a fire an would call back immediately if there was. Unfortunately the telephone wires had already been burned through when he tried to call a few minutes later. Eventually he sent one of his servants in a car to notify the firemen. By the time the alarm was turned in and the fire department arrived there was little that could be done. Only a few of Uberti’s clothes were saved. Al of the furniture and personal possessions of Mrs. Uberti and the servants were lost. Mr. Uberti praised the world of the Mahwah Fire Department but realized that they faced an impossible task in saving the old homestead.