This Day In History: 1934-02-15
The first steps toward a comprehensive zoning law for the Township were taken at the Town Committee meeting. Two members of the Committee, E. C. Lane and F. W. Petri had formed a special committee to investigate the need for zoning and wrote a letter to the Committee urging some sort of zoning along the new portions of Route 2. When asked for his opinion Township Attorney Webber advised that there would be a stronger legal case if zoning regulations were adopted for the entire Township rather than a small section. A further stimulus to the Committee was a complaint from Mr. Balough that a junkyard was being operated next door to his house. He demanded that the Committee prevent this from happening. The Board discovered that although there had been an agreement between the owner’s father and the business that only new cars be displayed on the property, a ten-foot fence had been built and junk cars were being stripped for parts on the property. Although this seemed to violate the original agreement, the Town had no power to order the business to cease unless some other laws were being violated since there were no zoning regulations. The Committee decided to adopt some sort of zoning regulations at their next meeting.