This Day in History: 1932-03-07
The Annual meeting of the Mahwah Free Public Library Association was held at the library. Florence E. Cooper, Margaret S. Forte and Evelyn B. Lane were elected to three year terms as trustees. In the annual report it was noted that the library quarters in the Winter Building on Miller Road had become completely inadequate to hold the collection. As a result the Board had to lease the adjacent store and thus double their space. The impact of the depression was deplored. It had resulted in fewer contributions and greatly increased circulation. They had been forced to rebind nearly 200 books during the year. They had been able to borrow 210 vitally needed books from the state during the year. Without state help the Board reported, they would not have been able to continue to provide the level of service needed by the public. The librarian reported 825 borrowers, and a daily circulation of 14,280. 267 books were added to the collection. 101 of these books were donated. 166 books were purchased at a cost of $315. $38 were spent on magazines and $1,072 was spent on salaries, rent and utilities. The Board projected sharply higher costs during 1932 because of the rent having been doubled. A monthly story hour was given for children and the librarian reported that she worked hard to channel young readers into worthwhile books.