This Day in History: 1917-03-15
George Foster, who should know better since he is an employee of the powder works in Haskell, was almost burned to death when he tried to determine the height of the gasoline in the tank of his auto with a lantern. He had stopped at William V. Pullis’ garage in Campgaw and ordered several gallons of “gas”. He borrowed a lantern to check the level in the tank when it flared up burning out the top of his machine. He escaped by diving through the side curtains. A fire extinguisher finally put out the blaze.