Carol Wehran Greene Collection
CREATOR: Carol Wehran Greene
EXTENT: 3.7 Linear Feet, 6 Boxes
COLLECTION SUMMARY: This collection contains many original documents, photographs and other materials collected and used by Carol Wehran Greene for her book, The Ramapo Chronicles, a 300 Year History of Mahwah, NJ and Its Surrounds, published by Carol Wehran Greene, 2009.
RECEIVED FROM: Carol Wehran Greene, 2013
PROCESSING ARCHIVIST: Cathy Moran Hajo and Debra Utko, March 2020
Biographical / Historical Note: Carol Wehran Greene (born 1941), a lifetime resident of Mahwah, has been a regional historian and historic preservationist for 25 years. Her early career includes experience as a realtor and appraiser. She is known for her passion of and knowledge about issues of development and preservation.
Greene has served on the Mahwah Historic Preservation Commission for over 25 years, was on the Bergen County Historic Preservation Advisory Board and was a trustee and chair of the New Jersey Historic Trust Grant Program. She is the Mahwah Township Historian and has been the Ramapo Reformed Church Historian. Greene was a co-founder of the Mahwah Museum Society and past president of the Friends of the Hermitage National Landmark Museum and History Education Center in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ.
Greene’s The Ramapo Chronicles began in 1983 with a request from Reverend John Bender and Elder Howard McPherson to write a brief history of the Ramapo Reformed Church. Greene’s research expanded beyond the church itself and into the lives of the people who established the farms, trade and community that is Mahwah, NJ today. The end result, The Ramapo Chronicles, is a detailed history of Mahwah, especially the Island, Valley Road and Depot sections, with particular focus on the Ramapo Reformed Church.
Collection Description: This collection of materials contains of some of Carol Wehran Greene’s original sources for content for her book, The Ramapo Chronicles, a 300 Year History of Mahwah, NJ and Its Surrounds, published by Carol Wehran Greene, 2009. It does not include materials relating to Greene’s professional or personal life.
Arrangement Description: The collection is arranged by type of material, e.g. organization records, legal documents, reference documents and within each type of material, by topic.
- Photo Album / Scrapbook of Old Station separated to Mahwah Historical Society Collection
- Framed Photo by Lee Vold of Tom Olenchak’s Painting of Mahwah, circa 1967 separated to Mahwah Museum Prints Collection
- Laboratory Log Book, 1936, separated to American Brakeshoe Collection
- Log Book: Test Machine No. 18., 1/4/1937 to 6/24/1937, separated to American Brakeshoe Collection
- Book, From Pioneer Settlement to Suburb, by Bischoff and Kahn, separated to Mahwah Museum Library
- Janet Brown Collection, 2008.14. Documents: Hohokus Town ship Annual Report, Zabriski Bio, The Old Station Timetable – Vanishing Farms of Mahwah, Hennion (family) Record, handwritten notes and typewritten transcription. Photo: Brown Estate.
- Thomas E. Dater Collection. News articles, photographs including World War 1 Home guard and Board of Freeholders.
- Francis Furman Collection. Photographs: Commodore Perry School 1915, Brown Estate, other unidentified.
- Isabel Hudson Collection. Framed poem and drawing, “Trees” by Joyce Kilmer.
- General Mahwah town history documents
- Family materials: Carlough, Litchult, Meyer
- Organization records, primarily churches
- Photographs: buildings, people, parks
- Legal materials: deeds, wills, transactions
Using the Collection
ACCESS STATEMENT: Collection is open and available for use. If used in a publication, the Museum expects to be credited.
RIGHTS STATEMENT: The Mahwah Museum owns the materials, but researchers wishing to publish or reprint materials need to secure permission from the copyright holder.
PREFERRED CITATION: [ITEM DESCRIPTION], Carol Wehran Greene Collection, Mahwah Museum, Mahwah, NJ.
Box 1: This material previously logged into Past Perfect, 2014.
- 18.027 Farmland Preservation
- 18.028 Havemeyer House and Museum
- 18.029 Historic Preservation
- 18.031 Mahwah Museum
- 18.032 Misc. 18th Century Documents
- 18.033 State Plan & Misc.
- 18.034 Winter Pond Dam
- 18.035 Crocker Mansion
- 18.036 Darlington School
- 18.037 Bergen Focus Magazine 2014
- 18.038 Panorama of Suffern
- 18.039 Mahwah Our Town
- 18.040 Historic Site Markers
- 18.041 Portrait of a Town
- 18.042 Ramapo Valley Airport and Misc.
- 18.043 2006 W3R March to Yorktown
- 03.008.007 Newspaper Articles: Mahwah /Immaculate Conception Seminary and December 1982 Mahwah Evergreen Tree to Rockefeller Center
Box 2: “Low Volume Materials” such as architectural records, correspondence. Family Materials.
- Removal Slips
- Architectural Records: Bramshill House (United Kingdom), Model for Crocker Mansion
- Music: Up Again the Mountain Cassette
- Newspaper Articles
- Family Materials: Carlough
- Family Materials: Litchult
- Family Materials: Meyer (1) – Correspondence, Genealogy, Notes, Wills
- Family Materials: Meyer (2) – Photographs: Myers, Hopper, Pulis, Packer, Others unidentified. Photographs: Ackerman Homestead, Valley Road.
- Family Materials: Meyer (3) – Commercial Papers 1863 – 1940’s
- Fire Department and Police Department Crystal Frequencies
Box 3: Organization Records, Reference Materials
- Organization Records: Airmont Lutheran Church, Late 1800’s – 1938 – Marriage, Burial and Membership Records
- Organization Records: Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Organization Records: Other Churches
- Organization Records: Ramapo Reformed Church Including 1998 Bicentennial Celebration
- Organization Records: Receipts, Election Tickets
- Organization Records: Township of Mahwah Calendars – 1983-84, 1986-87, 1988
- Reference Materials: Maps
- Reference Materials: Mahwah Portrait (1960), Historic Homes, NJ Know Your State (1957)
- Reference Materials: Miscellaneous
Box 4: Photographs
- Photographs: Commercial, Municipal and Public Buildings
- Photographs: Homes
- Photographs: Mahwah Buildings, photo set with negatives, polaroids
- Photographs: Masonicus Farm Ownership 1946 – With Maps
- Photographs: Parks
- Photographs: People
- Photographs: Pete Mann’s House, Stag Hill, before and after 1988 fire
- Photographs: Schools
- Photographs: Stag Hill Busing – Geiger Road, 2011.23
- Photographs: Train Station, Mahwah
- Photographs: The Story of Winter’s Park
Box 5: Legal Materials
- Legal Materials: Bills of Sale, Misc.
- Legal Materials: Tax Receipts
- Legal Materials: Wills
- Organization Records: Bergen County Debt Records 1813-1815
Box 6: Oversized Materials
- Organization Materials: Ledger 1930-1932, Police Desk Records
- Photographs: Mahrapo Farm, route 202
- Photographs: Oversize: Schools, Train Stations, Other Buildings
- Legal Documents: Indenture Agreements, Deeds