This Day In History: 1942-01-25
At the Township Defense Council meeting the formation of a new Committee on Demolition, rescue and repair was announced. Joseph M. Palma was named Chairman and Thomas H. Prendergast as his assistant. The group was placed in charge of clearing up debris, keeping streets open, pulling down unsafe buildings and repairing damaged roads, bridges and utilities in case of enemy action in the Township. The sub-groups were formed: Demolition, John M. Schweitzer, Chairman, Rescue, Charles Feldman, and Repair divided among John Glasgow for Road, James S. Foster for bridges, Harry Green Jr., underground utilities, and James A. Glasgow Sr., overhead utilities. Over one hundred men had been enrolled to assist in the work of the Committee in case of an emergency.