This Day In History: 1940-01-22
An overheated furnace caused a fire which did an estimated $10,000 damage to Reich’s Tavern on Valley Road. The fire broke out at about 2:00 AM. A tenant ran a half-mile to Reich’s house to alert him. Despite the efforts of both Mahwah’s fire companies including Company Number Two’s new apparatus, which was used for the first time, the two-story building was completely gutted. A large stock of liquor and Reich’s many hunting and fishing trophies were destroyed. The loss was covered by insurance, he announced, and he said he hoped to rebuild quickly and resume his business.