Ellis Family Collection
CREATOR: Charles E. Ellis
EXTENT: Linear Feet: .5 linear feet, number of containers: 1 box
COLLECTION SUMMARY: Correspondence, ephemera, maps,
RECEIVED FROM: John Ellis Edwards, 2010.
PROCESSING ARCHIVIST: Cathy Moran Hajo, Erica Lehner and Karen Maguire.
Biographical / Historical Note: Charles E. Ellis, Jr. (1907 -1993) was a consulting engineer who held a number of patents, including one for the Spiradyne. He was a member of the Mahwah Environmental Commission and lived at 40 Armour Road, in the Cragmere Section of the township. He was the son of Charles Edwin Ellis, Sr. (1878-1937) who served in the Spanish American War, was a captain in the Mahwah Militia Reserve Company before joining the U.S. Army during World War I, serving as a Major in the Ordinance Department. His mother was Helen Foreman Ellis (1875-1966).
Collection Description: Collection of correspondence, Mahwah historical ephemera regarding Cragmere, and oral history interview with Charles E. Ellis, Jr., a title to the 40 Armour Road property, and photographs of Charles E. Ellis and his father. There are also a series of maps and photographs depicting aqueducts found in Cragmere.
Arrangement Description: Alphabetical by subject.
Separated Materials: Helen Foreman Ellis watercolor, ca. 1930s and Ramsey High School Class Photo, 1924 have been moved to Mahwah Museum Society Oversized Box #1.
Ellis, Charles Edwin
Ellis, Charles E., Jr.
Mahwah – Cragmere
Maps – Cragmere
Maps – Mahwah
World War I – Mahwah Militia
Using the Collection
ACCESS STATEMENT: Collection is open and available for use. If used in a publication, the Museum expects to be credited.
RIGHTS STATEMENT: The Mahwah Museum owns the materials, but researchers wishing to publish or reprint materials need to secure permission from the copyright holder.
PREFERRED CITATION: [ITEM DESCRIPTION], Ellis Family Collection, Mahwah Museum, Mahwah, NJ.
- Benjamin Talmage’s Horse Punch Recipe, ca. 1782
- Charles E. Ellis – Correspondence, 1916-1983
- Charles E. Ellis, Jr. – Interview with Janice McCue, February 15, 1981
- Ellis Family Biographical Materials
- Erie Railroad Schedules, 1931
- Mahwah – Cragmere – Historical Materials
- Mahwah – Historical Materials
- Mahwah – Miller Aqrduct Maps
- Mahwah – Zoning
- Maps – Mahwah
- Maps – Ramapo Mountains
- Ramapo River Committee
- Title 40 Armour Road, 1949
- Photographs – Charles E. Ellis, Jr., 1930-1970s
- Photographs – Charles E. Ellis, Sr.
- Photographs – Mahwah
- Photographs – Miller Aqueduct, 1978-79
- Photographs – Spiradyne
- Rape of the Republic, by Lt. Col. Edward Marshall Hadey, 1920s